Another early morning gym day under the belt, so to speak. These mornings are becoming some of my favorite mornings of all time. This shocks me too. When I get to the gym at 5:30, honestly I am not awake. Not by a long shot. Of course when I drag myself IN the front door, I usually meet my neighbor coming OUT of the gym. He's way too chipper. Part of his charm. I'm a little cranky. Part of my charm. But after an hour of training, sweating, and general bigbeartolittlebear-ing it... I'm awake... and feel great... and, dare I say it, I'm chipper.
But my favorite part of the morning is next to come. I go home. It's 6:30. I pull into the driveway and just look at the house. Our house. Our home. Beautiful fiance (now on her incredibly well earned summer break from teaching) is most likely still asleep. So is Wonder Dog (whose entire life is a break). It's a cool morning compared to the heat-wave of earlier this week. My little ritual commences. I walk around the house, inspecting the gardens. Now that sounds impressive, "The Gardens", however it only consists of a couple small raised beds on the side of the house and a few containers out back. First I water the beds. Zucchini is starting to form it's first fruit of the year. Lots of promising tomatoes, although I added a couple Cherokee Purple plants late. I think they'll be just fine. Of course the hose leaks and I end up spraying myself about as much as the plants, but after the gym it's nice. Kale is almost there and our two rows of lettuce is once again in need of a "harvest." Salad for dinner. It's quiet except for a few birds and the BAT bus rumbling down College Ave.
Around back I use the watering can that used to belong to my mom. There are a few planters and a couple whiskey barrels with mostly tomatoes, basil, and cilantro doing quite well. However, I am rather proud of my green beans that are climbing three long poles/saplings that fashion a rough 9-foot high tripod. No beans yet, but no giant scrambling down them either. All is good.
And I talk to the plants as I water them... a little pep talk of sorts. Pretty sure it doesn't do much for the plants, but it makes me feel better. I talk to the pink flamingos too, which Cami rolled her eyes at and reluctantly gave me permission to put them out.... in the back yard.... close to the house.... out of public sight. They're a wonderful bit of whimsy in a world that is too damn full of itself. Haven't named them yet and I am open to suggestions. Checking my watch, it's after 7:00. I need to hustle inside and get ready for the day.... which seems strange given my day is already well under way.
The shirts are right..... life really is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment