Wednesday, August 4, 2010

An overdue letter....

Dear Lloyd,

This letter is long overdue, and in fact you don't even know me.  But given that we're on the verge of some big happenings that have a whole lot to do with your kin, I figure I should introduce myself.  My name is Sam and in a couple days I am going to marry your granddaughter.  Now I know you never got to meet her, and honestly that's a damn shame.  She would make you proud with almost everything she has done and everything she stands for which is a lot.  She is beautiful and loving and makes the world a better place... and she makes me a better man.  She can be a lot sometimes, which probably doesn't surprise you, but it is a wonderful thing.  She never does anything half-way, especially when it comes to loving.  She loves kids (she's a teacher after all), she loves making a difference, she loves animals (especially our dog), she loves her family, and she loves me... and I can be a lot sometimes.

Lloyd, I'll take care of her.  Not that she needs anyone to take care of her...  Good Lord!!  She's got Bebe's genes, and some of yours and a few other strands that are woven into the fabric of her character.  But I'll be there and I'll love her.

We're getting married out at camp... your camp...  the one you named Mi Camp, so everyone felt at home.  We do feel at home and come Saturday, so will about a hundred and ten of our closest friends and family.  It's all cleaned up and painted (still red... but the yellow just had to go).  I even cleaned out your fire-pit/grill... ship shape and soon I'll be baking pizzas in it.  But not this weekend.  This weekend is focused on another celebration.  Indeed this is a celebration... and you will be remembered, as will Cami's other grandparents, and my dad, and all those who have passed on too soon.  I like to think that you are all gathered together somewhere, watching from afar, sending us your love and blessings.  That would be cool.

But the business of this upcoming celebration is upon us and there is much to be done.  But I just needed to write this out... to thank you for Mi Camp... and thank you for Cami.

I'm a lucky, lucky man.   But I bet you already knew that.

~Sam

1 comment:

  1. Sam,

    Now that I have wiped away the tears, I can say that Lloyd would love you!! You are everything he would want in a grandson-in-law -- bright, witty, entrepreneurial, loving, and, most of all, you knew a great woman when you found her -- and a great place to be married. Thank you for the lovely letter. I am sure the recipient has read it!

    ReplyDelete