According to Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the meaning of life, the universe, and everything is "42." Tomorrow I turn 42. No pressure, right? Granted, it's just another day... and in reality it's just another year. But I can't help but feel excited about the possibilities that can come with a "new age." Forty is the new thirty... or twenty... or whatever... that doesn't matter. The forty's are where I'm at and that's good enough for me. Things've been great, but I've got work to do.
I remember several years ago when my brother traveled a lot for his work. He would be up late sometimes watching who knows what late-night television. This one night he is inspired by a Tony Robbins quote he heard on some infomercial and calls me to share it.
"Sam, what would you do if you had no fear...???"
"Dude, it's friggin' 2:30!" *click*
...and that's about all I remember of that conversation. But it was a good question then, and perhaps an even better question now... What would I do if I truly had no fear...?
Now as lovely as my life is with friends and family and so much more that I am thankful for... it is time for me to step up my game. In 135 minutes I am going to start listening to the late night voice of my brother and the words of Tony Robbins and I will live my 42 as though it really is the meaning to my life, my universe, and my everything.
Look out 42. Watch out world. Here comes Sammy.
No comments:
Post a Comment