Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas... and we've learned a couple things.

So we are now in Nederland, CO enjoying a quiet Christmas afternoon. Everyone but us little hens is napping... not a bad thing to do, especially at this altitude. Yesterday was travel day, which is always an adventure... but also proved to be educational. For instance, I learned that no matter how cool you think you are by setting up text-messaging updates for your blog, you can't do it. At least not from Logan Airport's Terminal E... which was a friggin' ghost town yesterday. Kind of a Twilight Zone meet's Santa's Village from the Polar Express movie. You know what I am talking about. Haunting, echoing Christmas carols coming from some unseen sound system... So we tried to update, but it wasn't happening. The message is stop being so cheap, bite the bullet and get a real smart-phone. Or simply ask nicely and borrow your fiance's.

Lesson Two. Let's just say that Southwest Airlines tries a little too hard to be cute and make everyone happy. Also their seating system, lining people up in some numeric way, but basically letting the passengers just have-at-it doesn't really work for me. Okay, it wasn't like getting into Wal-Mart on Black Friday, but it was not entirely smooth. Also, don't sing happy birthday to anybody, not even me, when you are cooped up in a 737. And don't call me darling. That's about it. Don't worry, I'll be fine on the flight back.

Lesson Three. When you rent a car in Denver and you will be driving up to Nederland, it might just be worth the RIDICULOUS amount they charge for a 4WD vehicle. After all, you are not paying for the car, you are paying for peace of mind. And like our good, good friends at Mastercard remind us, that is priceless.

Lesson Four. When said fiance is driving through complete white-out conditions, and up winding canyon roads of unknown snow-covered condition, do not, I repeat do NOT, make witty editorials about her driving like "I hope death comes this slowly." Um, I can't believe I said it either. 'Nuff said.

Lesson Five. When it comes to Christmas, it is time to love your family, warts and all.... near or far... And count your blessings. This might be a good idea for everyday.

Tomorrow is my day to cook. We are doing homemade spaghetti sauce, meatballs, the whole sha-bang. I even smuggled a ziplock baggy of "secret" blend of herbs and spices through the TSA check point. Or maybe it's okay to bring a baggy of dried, green "herb" as long as it is less than 3 ounces. But my piracy will yield a fine meal tomorrow that may become a post-Christmas tradition.  Recipe may follow someday...

Otherwise our Christmas day has been wonderful... lots of laughs and great memories.... and a little bit of bourbon. Wherever you are this Christmas day, I hope yours was every bit as wonderful!!

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment