The youth group is at it again. We have been working since this past fall trying to raise just over $10,000. This money will be spent taking a group of 17 high school students to New Orleans. We will be volunteering with the St. Bernard Project, an incredible non-profit that has been going strong since early 2006. They rebuild houses, homes really, that were destroyed by Hurricane Katrina. Now we've all heard of that. But the St. Bernard Parish has been able to do what FEMA and the Federal Government has not. In addition to rebuilding homes with nothing more than volunteer help and donations, they give people hope. Hope, when times are tough, is a powerful tool. Actually it
always is a powerful tool.
Two years ago, I went down to NOLA with my fiance and her family. Turns out one of her old classmates works for St. Bernard Project. Well there we were, all volunteering, mudding sheet-rock and sanding it down. Messy, sweaty, just plain nasty work that was absolutely delicious for the soul. And we were bitten by the bug. We knew we were going back.
Last year we formed the youth group and took eleven kids down. It clearly changed all of our lives. And as these things tend to do.... the group grew. This year we had to limit the group to 17 students (plus chaperones... don't freak out)... funding. A reasonable concern during a recession. But the kids are stepping up... and so are their parents... and so is this incredible community. We are a community service focused youth group, but attached to the Church of Universal Fellowship in Orono, ME. These church members step up every chance they get... which is fairly often these days. They have been subjected to numerous bake sales, a pizza sale, soon a Mardi Gras Extravaganza (I'm not exactly sure what that entails either), car washes, and flat-out appeals for donations. And they never disappoint.

Today was bake sale #2 for this year. The kids showed up with a wonderful variety of baked goods.... many out of the normal range of "bake sale" goods. We had chicken lasagna (three of them.... each went for $17-20), quiches (2 of them), pizzas (4), and perhaps my personal favorite.... five quart containers of "Calico Beans." Yes. I bought one of them. Best damn ten bucks I've spent in the last three months. The kids baked and sold. The parents baked and bought. The church members milled about like it was a festival.... and in many ways, it was indeed a celebration. These kids are perhaps renewing faith in the spirit of generosity, of giving, and perhaps of compassion. And it is contagious. People want to see them succeed in their collective mission. They give to the kids in ways the kids may never see. I was sitting in the back pew of church today before the service, catching up with an old friend, when I felt friendly pat on my shoulder and a piece of paper slid into my hand. It was a check... and it came from a man who has already donated to us.... and has bought pizzas and cookies, and had his car washed. With it was a note. In a spidery scrawl, "Here's another donation. Keep up the good work." After the service, as we scooted out to man the bake sale, another friend passed me and slipped something into my coat pocket. "Don't lose you coat now, Sam," he said. It was another very generous check.

During the sale, there was a moment where I stepped back and just watched. I watched the interactions and conversations. It is hard to explain what exactly was happening. But there was much more going on than the sale of cookies and cupcakes... and there
is much more going on here than the rebuilding of houses in New Orleans. There is a rekindling of the human spirit. Now I know that sounds like complete bullshit, but it is true. And I am finally realizing that this is why I am involved with this youth group.
It's cold outside tonight. They're saying single digits. We have the fire going and the dog is sprawled in front of it in customary fashion. And for dinner I had a salad and a small bowl of "Calico Beans" all heated up... delicious... and they, along with the memory of the day, warmed me through to my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment