We are leaving early tomorrow for a little road trip. Cam is upstairs packing. Mucho is once again sacked out in front of the fireplace with his Kong.... his second favorite toy. He lobotomized Mr. Octopus last week and I haven't had time to stich the poor bastard up.
We are visiting Mom. Not really for any reason other than it has been too long, she hasn't seen Julie & Julia yet, and I owe her cupcakes. What the hell. So tomorrow we will load up the car, give Mucho the whole back seat (and a good potion of the front), and drive to Wells River, VT. Honestly I am not sure when the last time we visited Mom at her home. I'm sure she knows. Moms keep pretty good track of that kind of thing. Of course there are loads of things we could be doing other than running to Vermont. We have lots of money to raise for the youth group's upcoming trip to New Orleans. We have our wedding to plan. I have homework to read and Cam has homework to grade. But there are times when we need to walk (or drive in this case) away from it all and just take, well, a pause. It will be there when we get back. We all have things and times in our lives where doing what seems like nothing is actually the most important thing to do.
But spending time with your mom is not nothing. It is damn important stuff. To watch movies, and talk, drink some wine, swap stories, and watch Cami share how much she loves teaching, loves her students, and how much they love her... it's like capturing our crazy & wonderful life in a picnic basket and delivering it in person to my unsuspecting mother. Look out Mom. (I mentioned that we're bringing Mucho too, right??)
Now if you will excuse me, I need to bake some cupcakes.
No comments:
Post a Comment