Monday, January 11, 2010

The Mothership

(Originally posted on my other, now defunct blog, December 1, 2009 - SGK)

There are many ways we can take this title being a few days after Thanksgiving and my mother (and brother + family) have been gone for only a few days. But I am actually writing about the Kitchenaid Professional 600 that as of 5:23 pm EST has resided on our kitchen counter. It is a big friggin’ mixer and I love it. It is a gift of love…. love as in I love two things… my fiance, Cami, and cooking (three if you include our dog, Mucho…. four if you include the rest of my family… five if… never mind) … back to my point, I love her, she loves me, birthday is coming up along with Christmas and said Kitchenaid is now on said counter. It stands 16 and a half inches tall which gives it about an inch of extra clearance under our cabinets. I have done nothing with it tonight other than unpack it, lovingly wash the bowl and attachments, and post a picture of it on Facebook… Quite possibly the dorkiest moment of my life. So there you have it… a rare moment of decadence in our typically sedate and non-materialistic lifestyle. That said, please stay tuned for a flat screen television that I sense on the horizon… and lots of cooking adventures.

Back to Thanksgiving. Holidays bring the family together and that can be an adventure. This year my brother and his wife and kids came up to Maine with my Vermont residing mother in tow. It’s easy to say that we don’t get together nearly enough, but given our paths and schedules, it’s amazing that we see each other as often as we do. This Thanksgiving was a merging of two families as we literally went over the river and through the woods to my future in-laws… lots of people together having made it through a variety of challenges over the last year or two. Health struggles, lost loved ones, life decisions, and that litany of perennial questions…. What do you feed a vegetarian on Thanksgiving…? Red or white wine…? Do I drink one, two, or three bottles…? I know, I know politically explosive material here…. But the safe answer to at least question number one is polenta dome. I may post the recipe later (with the solid advice to drop the fennel and add more salt and cheese)… so keep your fingers crossed. But once again, back to Thanksgiving… Families, friends, and the other wonderful people we love for whatever reason and in whatever capacity can drive us crazy… if we let them. But love them we do, and love them we will continue to do. One of my favorite quotes from Storypeople is “There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other’s cooking & say it was good.” To me that says Thanksgiving. To me that says family.

Forgive the shmaltz, but the holidays are coming. Until then, let’s give the mothership on my counter a test run. And I will keep trying to figure out what the hell this blog is all about.

Stay tuned….

No comments:

Post a Comment