I started a new class Tuesday. Developmental Theories of Counseling. Seems to be a great course that will delve into the stages we all eventually pass through. And I've already learned a great lesson.... Nate, the instructor made it all clear for me. "There is no one way to counsel," he said. "But you do have a responsibility to have an opinion." By learning about theories, and issues, and substance, and about being human, and by examining our own lives and everything else... we will form our own personal opinions... and those opinions will enable us to counsel. In addition to the usual massively dry textbook, we are also assigned to read The Glass Castle, The Secret Life of Bees, and Tuesdays With Morrie. I own copies of all the titles, but have never managed to read them. After class Tuesday, I jumped right into Tuesdays... The story of a writer reconnecting with his old college professor as he navigates the last stages of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. It's a book about death, and life, and the integral beauty each possess.
Today I received an e-mail from mom. After over a year in remission, her cancer is back. They will be starting a new treatment plan soon... chemo and a new, somewhat "experimental" injection that has had some positive results. Okay then.
Now by connecting Tuesday's With Morrie and my mother's cancer, I am by no means assuming the worse. I am simply acknowledging that life is full of lessons... and it is intended to be lived. Morrie never missed an opportunity to dance, and from here on, neither will I. And Mom, I guess this is fair warning.... you'd better dust off your dancing shoes.
No comments:
Post a Comment