Okay, so every now and then we need a nudge to get back on track. So it was with my fitness and diet stuff.... and so it is with this blog. As far as the blog goes, the nudge came from the petite but mighty Ang of Astoria. Who is this Ang...?? She is one of Cami's best friends of all time and I would take a bullet for her. Seriously. Granted I hope I never need to, for the sake of both of us. But I would. And we will be seeing the petite but mighty Ang and her fab hubby unit at our wedding which is precisely one month away from tomorrow. On that note, allow me to say.... holy crap. (It's going to be AMAZING)
But on to the fitness nudge. Now this is not a new battle for me... nor is it for about 72% of the American public... and I know what I need to do.... as does about 71% of the American public.... but alas, here we are, so many of us.... needing a nudge. My nudge came from an old friend who is with me in that 72%. He nudged me into re-joining the "Big Bear to Little Bear Challenge" at the U Maine Rec Center. It's exactly what it sounds like... a quasi "Biggest Loser" except we don't live there and we only get to meet with our team trainer twice a week... and he's not a raging psycho-bitch. So every Monday and Wednesday, a small but dedicated group of BB2LBers wake early and head to the gym by 5:30. There are four of us on our team and we all have different fitness goals... it's a personal journey after all... but we are a team. We look out for each other. It's what teams do. We face challenge after challenge and we cheer each other on through push-ups and mile sprints and steam engines and weigh-ins. And it works. And sometimes we end up helping each other out in other ways. My team-mate... the nudger... called me tonight.
"I'm on Hogan Road... talk me past McDonald's" said the semi-panicked voice. "I'm going to my class and need to eat something.... what should I do??"
I had been there before... driving past the same McDonald's... the same creepy voice beckoning me to come in to check out the new dollar menu. I hate that voice.
"Go to Hannafords... the deli... aske for 3 ounces of sliced turkey and get some flax seed pitas... make a sandwich... less than 150 calories and you are GOLDEN!!"
Crisis averted. I imagine it like an air-strike being called in over some axis of nutritional evil. Operation Hamburglar Shut-down.
And so it goes... it 's almost 10:30 and I will be in the gym in seven hours. With the team. Good week or bad week, we'll all be there for each other. Ready with a nudge.
And when weddings come around, perhaps say in August, our friends will be there. Actually they always are. Especially when we need a nudge.
Thanks Ang...!
I've said it before, you are one of the few that inspire me, more than I do for you. Great read Sam, and I am glad you could help your friend!
ReplyDelete